Forfeited Land Sales
1. Sale Date Info

Date:  Tuesday, June 14, 2022                     

Time:  11:00 am     (Doors open at 9am)          

The location of the sale will be at the Pritchard Laughlin Civic Center located at 7003 Glenn Highway, Cambridge, OH 43725.  In addition, the sale will be simulcast live, online through Kaufman Auctions. Anyone bidding online must register at

    Money due the day of sale:  20% (10% Buyers Premium & 10 % Auditor) +  fees  or  the  the Minimum bid of $300.00 plus 10% Buyers Premium + fees

    If you are bidding for someone else you will need to provide an assignment of bid form.  We will have Notary's onsite the day of the sale.

    In person seating will be limited .

    In an effort to expedite the registration process, the Auditor’s office is now accepting registration forms for those who will attend the sale.

    Forms can be returned by mail, fax or in person at the Guernsey County Auditor Office on the second floor of the Guernsey County Administration Building.

    Current Forfeited Property List (as of 05/12/2022)


    In Person:
    Doors open at  9:00 am and only bidders will be admitted to the facility.

    Items Required:

      • Valid Drivers License or State ID
      • Money Due:

                20% (10% Buyers Premium & 10 % Auditor) +  fees 
               Minimum bid of $300.00 + 10% Buyers Premium + fees

             Transfer Fees: range from the minimum of $87.50 to the maximum $97.00 per sale.


      The sale will be simulcast live, online through Kaufman AuctionsAnyone bidding online must register at

      If You would like to participate in Our online auctions, You must become a registered bidder and create a Bidder Account. You agree to provide true, accurate, current, and complete information about You and/or Your organization, as applicable, and as requested during the registration process.

      To contact Our Customer Service – please use any of the options listed below:

            *Our service hours may be reduced during certain national and/or religious holidays.

            (888) 852-4111  |

            Contact Us Online: Send Us a message online by completing and submitting the information located at Specific online auctions may also contain a “Contact Us” section that can be completed and submitted.

            Contact Us by Phone: (888) 852-4111 during the service hours of 9AM – 4PM (ET), Monday through Friday.* Specific online auctions may also contain contact information for individuals that can be contacted via telephone and/or email.

            Contact Us by Mail: Kaufman Realty & Auctions, LLC, P.O. Box 422, Sugarcreek, Ohio 44681 and 399 W. Main St., Bridgeport, WV 26330

            2. Process and Procedures

            Forfeited Land/Auditor Sales 

             (ORC Section 5723)

            Every tract of land foreclosed for delinquent taxes (5721.18) or a tax lien (323.25) that has been properly offered for sale on two separate occasions, not less than two weeks apart and not sold shall be forfeited to the state (5723.01) and the County Auditor will offer it for sale to the highest bidder (5723.05 & 5723.06). If any parcel is offered for sale under this section of the revised code and remains unsold, the auditor may, at any time prior to the next sale, again advertise and again offer it for sale (5723.07). An outline of the procedure follows:

            Prior to Auditor's Sale:

            • Once the property is offered and not sold pursuant to the Ohio Revise Code, the political subdivisions in which the property is located are notified by the court that the properties did not sell. If ten (10) days pass and no petition has been filed for forfeiture to a subdivision, then the county prosecuting attorney certifies to the court that the property is forfeited to the State of Ohio (5723.01). In order to do this, the following information must be obtained:

            a. Last recorded title holder
            b. The two sales dates
            c. Description of the property.

            • The forfeited property is exempted from taxation from the date of the forfeiture to the state until sold. The proportion of taxes between these two dates will be remitted by the county auditor (5723.02).

            • The auditor fixes the date for the Auditor's Sale of Forfeited Lands and advertises them once a week for two consecutive weeks prior to the sale (5723.05). The ads must contain specific verbiage according to ORC.

            • The owner may pay taxes and costs and redeem any time prior to time of the sale.

            • Within 10 days of compiling the Forfeited List, the Auditor must forward it to ODNR. They may select parcels "situated within the boundaries of any legally established state forest or park purchase area". ODNR may give written notice to the auditor prior to sales date indicating the director's intention to purchase forfeited land for the state. Such notice is a legal minimum bid and if no bid is received that covers the lesser of the auditor's market value or the total taxes, costs, etc. (5721.16(A)(1)(2)), the land is deemed sold to the state for no consideration and ODNR shall record the deed.

            Day of Auditor's Sale:

            • There will be two sales held the day of the auction, immediately following each other. You must register to participate in the auction. The Auditor's Sale will commence at 11:00 a.m. The parcels are offered to the highest bidder, beginning with the first tract contained in the list. Parcels are offered separately and in their entirety. This is Sale #1 and the minimum starting bid (5721.16(A) (1) (2)) must be the lesser of the Auditor's fair market value or the total of all costs, taxes, and charges.
            • Any parcels not sold in Sale#1 are immediately offered in Sale #2.  Sale #2 begins at the top of the list and offers the parcels separately and in their entirety. This time the minimum bid is the best price obtainable. We recommend you talk with your own legal counsel prior to purchase in regards to unexpected expenses.
            • Tracts may be offered multiple times at a same sale until sold or may adjourn the sale from day to day until all tracts listed in the notice are sold. Unsold parcels may be re-advertised and sold at the next official Auditor's Sale. This adds to the costs.

            • Parcels may NOT be sold to:

              • Any person delinquent on real property taxes in the State of Ohio.  
              • For less than total amount of taxes, assessments, penalties, interest, and costs if the highest bidder is the owner of record or a member of their immediate family prior to the judgment of foreclosure or forfeiture.  (Immediate family is described by this statue as spouse who resides in the same household and children.)

            • The Auditor issues a Certificate of Sale to the successful bidder (5723.12), collects the non-refundable down payment (ten percent (10%) of the total due or a $300.00 minimum bid, (whichever is greater), buyer’s premium of ten percent (10%) of successful bid due the day of the sale to auctioneer, (Kaufman Auctions LLC), the fees to transfer (Recording fee, Transfer Fee(s) and Auditor Deed preparation fee) and the bidder signs certifications (5723.06) that he/she owes no delinquent property taxes and that he/she is unrelated to previous owner. A non-refundable deposit on the full bid price (plus additional charges for deed fees, recording fees, and transfer fees) must be paid at the sale for all properties. We will accept personal checks unless otherwise indicated. Any checks that are dishonored (bounced checks) will be sent to the Guernsey County Prosecutor. If not paid in full on the date of the sale, the bidder must, within 10 days from the sale, produce and return to the auditor the Certificate of Sale along with any bid balance due. The purchaser becomes the owner on the date our office executes the deed and deed is recorded. The Auditor's Office will only prepare a deed in the name of the Successful Bidder unless an Assignment of Bid is presented.

            • If a person being a winning bidder of a parcel and, after the auction is closed, refuses to accept the parcel, any amount paid above the required down payment or minimum bid will be refunded, but the down payment or minimum bid (which includes the auctioneers buyer's premium) is not refundable. If a person refuses to accept the parcel, he or she will no longer be an eligible bidder for future Auditor's Sales.

            • The Back-up Bidder's information will be taken at the same time as the purchaser's information. If the purchaser fails to meet their final payment due date, the back-up bidder will have ten (10) business days to bring the money for the same purchase price as the original purchaser's bid. If the back-up bidder declines to purchase the property, it will go back into the system and be offered at our next scheduled sale. If the auditor discovers within three years after the sale date that the buyer is connected to the owner of record prior to the judgment of foreclosure or forfeiture, the difference between sale price and what was owed on the parcel will be added to the tax bill within thirty (30) days from discovery and due the next billing cycle.

            • If foreclosed upon under ORC 5721.14, any remaining delinquent taxes, assessments, charges, penalties, interests and costs due after sale shall be remitted (5723.06 (C)) for all prior tax years except: If the parcel is sold for the total amount estimated by the treasurer for all taxes, assessments, costs, etc. and it is found that the purchase price exceeds the actual costs, the overpayment is refunded to the buyer; if the estimate is less than the actual costs, the underpayment is billed on the next real estate tax billing cycle (5723.06 (D)). This normally does not apply as Guernsey County generally does not foreclose under this section.

            • All liens are eliminated, except for the real estate tax liens.  If there is a Federal lien, the Federal Government has "Right of Redemption" and may re-take the property for a period of up to one year after the original foreclosure was filed. If this occurs, the buyer will receive only the amount he paid at the Auditor's sale as reimbursement and no more, regardless of improvements done after the purchase.

            • Notice:  Entering the property without the permission of owner(s) or occupant(s) is a violation of the Ohio Revised Code Section 2911.21, punishable by up to thirty (30) days in jail and/or a fine of $250.00.  Furthermore, physically removing any property of the occupant(s) without a court order, even after receiving the deed may result a civil or criminal liability

            • Notice:  All prospective bidders are hereby put on notice that one or more of the properties that are being offered for sale at this Auditor Forfeited Land Sale is a contaminated site and may be the subject of an Ohio Environmental Protection Agency order.  Any person(s) who take title to such property may incur liability therefrom and must comply with Ohio Law in the clean-up of said property.

            • Notice:  All sales come with the cautionary “As-Is” “Where-is” and “Buyer Beware” labels. Parcels are not available for tour or inspection before the Auditor’s Sale. The Guernsey County Auditor has no keys for access to any building and gives no warranty or guarantee on any building or property, nor is the Guernsey County Auditor responsible for the condition of the buildings or property. Properties are subject to easements, restrictions, reservations and zoning regulations of record.  The Guernsey County Auditor cannot give any warranty of title, additionally, the Auditor does not give any representation regarding possession, eviction, prior inspection, scheduled demolition, health code violations, federal tax liens, removal of personal property or any other matters.   

            • Finalization of sale - Full and final payments must be made within ten (10) business days from the date of sale.   No extension of time will be granted.  If payment is not made in full on the 10th business day, the Successful Bidder will forfeit 10% down payment or minimum bid paid (which includes the auctioneers buyer's premium)and the parcel(s) will be offered to the Back-up Bidder for the same price.  Back-up Bidders will then be given ten (10) business days to pay in full.  

            • Property sold at the forfeited land sale will not transfer to the Successful Bidder until the deed is delivered to the Guernsey County Recorder.  This process will take thirty (30) days after the sale date.  As stated above, the Successful Bidder cannot enter the property, alter it, or remove anything from the property until ownership is finalized by the deed being recorded at the Guernsey County Recorder Office.

            • Successful Bidder is a company - include business filing documents validating the company’s status with the Secretary of State.  Appropriate screen prints from the Secretary of State website will suffice.

            • Sales are conducted based solely upon the permanent parcel number of the property.  The accuracy/inaccuracy of addresses provided in the county records may be addressed at the Guernsey County Map Department.  The entire legal description of the property will not be read at the auction due to the length of it.
            3. Kaufman Auction LLC Terms

            Kaufman Auction LLC Terms

            1. Acceptance.

            Please read Kaufman Realty & Auctions, LLC’s, Kaufman Realty & Auctions WV, LLC’s, and Kaufman Auction’s (collectively, “Kaufman”) Terms and Conditions (“Terms and Conditions”) carefully. By accessing,, and any and all related website links of Kaufman (collectively, “Website”) or by participating in an online auction, You signify Your consent to both these Terms & Conditions and the conditions of Kaufman’s Privacy Policy (“Privacy Policy”). These Terms & Conditions constitute a binding legal agreement between You as the user (“You”, “Your” or “Bidder”) and Kaufman, its subsidiaries, affiliates, and Kaufman’s commonly owned affiliated companies (collectively “Kaufman,” “We”, “Us” or “Our”). These Terms & Conditions set forth the legally binding terms for Your use of Kaufman’s services and shall apply to all users of Kaufman’s Website. By using this Website, You agree to and are bound by these Terms & Conditions and also acknowledge that: (a) You have had the opportunity to review all of the information located on the “Help & Support” page located at (and links therein) and (b) You have had the opportunity to ask questions regarding the use of Kaufman’s Website by telephone or email and to have those questions answered. Additionally, by accepting these Terms & Conditions, You acknowledge that Kaufman is not the Owner or Seller of items contained in these online auctions and that Kaufman is acting solely as the agent for the Owner or Seller. You also acknowledge that no relationship of any type or nature is created between You and Kaufman (including but not limited to employee, independent contractor, or agent). However, Kaufman reserves its rights to enforce all terms of sale included in accordance with these Terms & Conditions.

            1.1 Additional Terms.

            You will be required to agree to additional terms and conditions on a per online auction basis. These additional terms and conditions are stated in the specific online auction in which You choose to participate. These additional terms are hereby incorporated into Kaufman’s Terms & Conditions as an integral part hereof.

            1.2 Modification of Terms.

            Kaufman may modify these Terms & Conditions at any time and such modification shall be effective upon being posted on Kaufman’s Website at You agree to be bound to any changes to these Terms & Conditions when You use the Website or participate in an online auction after any such modification is posted. It is therefore important that You keep Yourself up to date with these Terms & Conditions and any changes to them. THESE TERMS & CONDITIONS ARE LEGALLY BINDING AND IF YOU VIOLATE ANY PART OF THEM, KAUFMAN MAY SEEK LEGAL RELIEF, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REPORTING YOUR CONDUCT TO APPROPRIATE LAW ENFORCEMENT ENTITIES. PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE TERMS & CONDITIONS INCLUDE AN AGREEMENT BY WHICH YOU INDEMNIFY KAUFMAN AND SUBMIT TO THE EXCLUSIVE JURISDICTION OF HOLMES OR TUSCARAWAS COUNTY, OHIO FOR ANY DISPUTES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE AND ANY SERVICES OFFERED BY KAUFMAN.


            2. Website Access. 

            Kaufman hereby grants You permission to use the Website as set forth in these Terms & Conditions, provided that: (a) You will not alter or modify any part of the Website other than as may be reasonably necessary to use the Website for its intended purpose and/or in a manner allowed by Kaufman; and (b) You will otherwise comply with all of these Terms & Conditions.

            2.1 Use of the Website.

            You accept sole responsibility for all Your activities using the Website, including Your conduct on the Website and any all content You may submit, post, or share via the Website. You may not use the Website for any unauthorized or illegal purpose. You further agree not to copy, reproduce, or publicly display any content from the Website outside the functions of the Website without first obtaining written permission from Kaufman. You will be responsible for ensuring that You do not violate any laws of Your jurisdiction. You will not upload or transmit viruses, worms, or any other destructive code.

            2.2 Bidder Account and Password.

            (i) In order to bid on the Website, You will have to create a Bidder Account. You should never use someone else’s Bidder Account without permission. You are responsible for maintaining the security of Your Bidder Account, password and any personal account information or purchase invoices. You are solely responsible and liable for the activity and purchases that occur under Your Bidder Account. You accept sole responsibility for keeping Your password secure. Kaufman will not be held responsible for Your losses caused by any unauthorized use of Your Bidder Account; furthermore, You may be held liable to the losses to Kaufman or others due to such unauthorized use.

            (ii) It is in Kaufman’s sole discretion to accept or decline the instructions of any individual who claims to be authorized to make direct changes to Your Bidder Account, so long as the person presents the appropriate account information. We shall not be responsible for the actions made by any individuals who misuse or misappropriate Your account information or other assets using Your Bidder Account, password, or other appropriate identifying information. If Your Bidder Account has been compromised, it is Your responsibility to notify Us immediately of any unauthorized use on Your Bidder Account.


            3. Registration

            If You would like to participate in Our online auctions, You must become a registered bidder and create a Bidder Account. You agree to provide true, accurate, current, and complete information about You and/or Your organization, as applicable, and as requested during the registration process.

            3.1 Requirements

            By using Kaufman’s Website, You represent and warrant that (a) all registration information is truthful and accurate; (b) You will maintain the accuracy of such information; and (c) You are 18 years of age or older and have full legal capacity to complete such contractual action without need for any additional approval or consents. If You do not qualify, You are not permitted to participate in Our online auctions. 


            4. Customer Service Contact

            To contact Our Customer Service – please use any of the options listed below: 

            i. Contact Us Online: Send Us a message online by completing and submitting the information located at Specific online auctions may also contain a “Contact Us” section that can be completed and submitted.

            ii. Contact Us by Phone: (888) 852-4111 during the service hours of 9AM – 4PM (ET), Monday through Friday.* Specific online auctions may also contain contact information for individuals that can be contacted via telephone and/or email.

            iii. Contact Us by Mail: Kaufman Realty & Auctions, LLC, P.O. Box 422, Sugarcreek, Ohio 44681 and 399 W. Main St., Bridgeport, WV 26330

            *Our service hours may be reduced during certain national and/or religious holidays.

            4.1 Email Communication

            Kaufman and Our partners and agents reserve the right to send messages to You regarding any matter related to the Website, including but not limited to Your Bidder Account, online auctions, items in online auctions, and these Terms & Conditions. Further, You consent to receive such emails at the email address(es) You enter into Your Bidder Account.

            4.2 Telephone Communication

            Kaufman and Our partners and agents reserve the right to contact You via telephone (either by a live person, automatic dialer, prerecorded message, or a combination of the foregoing) regarding any matter related to the Website, including but not limited to Your Bidder Account, the online auctions, the items in the online auctions, and these Terms & Conditions. Further, You consent to receive such phone calls at the telephone number(s) You enter into Your Bidder Account.

            4.3 Text Communication

            Kaufman and Our partners and agents reserve the right to contact You via text message if You opt in to “Text Alerts” in Your Bidder Account. By opting in for this functionality, you consent to receive text messages by automated means. Allowing “Text Alerts” is not a condition of purchase. This service is free from Kaufman; however carrier message and data rates may apply. To take advantage of Kaufman text messaging alerts, you must have a text messaging-enabled mobile device with a text messaging plan. The number for this device must be entered in as Your “Phone Number” in Your Bidder Account.

            4.4 Direct Mail Communication

            Kaufman and Our partners and agents may send you promotional details for Our services which We believe may interest You. If at any time You do not wish to receive these communications, please send Us a message at


            5. Warranty of Items

            All items are sold AS IS, WHERE IS, with NO WARRANTY, express or implied. All guarantees of authenticity, express or implied, are hereby disclaimed. Dimensions given for items may be approximate measurements. Do not assume a lot consists of more than one item simply because they are connected or pictured together. Please read the descriptions carefully to determine what is included in each lot. There shall be no returns or exchanges of items purchased by You. Kaufman makes all efforts to accurately describe items, but You accept any and all responsibility for viewing, verifying, and purchasing items. 

            5.1 Changes in Circumstances

            All aspects of an online auction are subject to change without prior notice. Kaufman reserves the right to (a) add or remove items from an online auction; (b) split or combine lots; (c) make changes to the online auction ending times and pick-up date and/or time; (d) cancel, suspend, extend, or reschedule an individual item and/or online auction event; and (e) take any other action Kaufman deems necessary to affect the fair conduct of an online auction.


            6. Binding Offer

            Placing a bid constitutes a binding offer between You the Bidder and the Owner/Seller that cannot be rescinded or retracted. If the bid is accepted by Kaufman (as determined by Kaufman in its sole discretion), You are contractually obligated to buy the item at the price stated as Your bid, as well as other applicable taxes, fees, and buyer premiums stated in the specific online auction you choose to participate in. 

            6.1 Participation


            6.2 Placing a Bid.

            Depending on the specific online auction, You may place bids in the following ways: (1) Max Bid; (2) ForceBid/-JumpBid; and (3) Ultimate Choice Bidding Platform. Max Bid allows You to enter Your Max Bid and the system will continue to bid for You by increments until it reaches Your Max Bid. ForceBid/JumpBid is a bidding strategy by which a bidder increases the bid by more than the next accepted bid (for example, placing your bid at $150 when the next accepted bid is $125). This practice is used by some bidders to discourage others from bidding in hopes of acquiring an item at a lower price. There are many theories on the effectiveness of this practice and if You choose to apply this practice, You do so at Your own discretion.  

            If the Ultimate Choice Bidding Platform is being utilized, there is no max bidding feature. Once You have clicked on the lot or combination of lots and click get price, You then have two options. You can simply click submit bid to enter Your bid at the amount displayed or You can enter a higher bid in the space provided. Your bid will be implemented at this amount. This is not max bidding, so the bid will be placed at the exact amount You enter. 

            If the specific auction You choose to participate in is online only, bidding will begin at a certain time and date and end at a certain time and date. Depending on the specific auction You choose to participate in, should a bid be placed within a certain amount of minutes before the auction’s ending time, the ending time will automatically be extended from the time that bid is placed. The time will continue to extend until the bidding activity has stopped. The online only auction closes when the timer on the auction hits zero. The winning bidder of an item is the last bidder the bid history recorded before the timer hits zero. Kaufman, in its sole discretion, may determine when and how long it chooses to extend the auction’s ending time. 

            If the specific auction You choose to participate is online and live (simulcast), pre-bidding will begin at a certain time and date and end at a certain time and date. The actual live portion of the auction in which online and live bidding will occur will begin at a certain time and date and end on the same date at a later time.

            You can read more about auction terminology and the bidding functions and how they operate at:


            6.3 Bid Notifications.

            (i) Outbid Alerts will be sent via email to You if You have been outbid.

            (ii) High Bid Alerts will be sent via email to You if You are the high bidder.

            (iii) Low Bid Alerts will be sent via email to You if You are the low bidder.

            For the above notifications, if elected, You can also receive text notifications. Notifications can be configured in Your Bidder Account.


            7. Payment Types

            Kaufman accepts VISA®, MasterCard®, and Discover® as acceptable payment for items purchased. Any purchase in excess of $2,500.00 must be paid via wire transfer. You may be required to present current identification (such as a valid driver’s license or state ID) at time of pick-up. Items will not leave the auction premises until payment, including all applicable taxes, fees, and buyer’s premiums, have been made in full. Payment type restrictions for an entire auction or an individual item may apply. Please read the additional terms and conditions stated in the specific online auction in which You choose to participate.

            7.1 Buyer’s Premium & Sales Tax

            If You are the successful bidder, You agree to pay the amount of Your bid plus the buyer’s premium stated in the specific online auction in which You chose to participate in, plus any and all applicable state and local sales taxes.

            7.2 Tax Exempt

            If You are a tax exempt bidder, it is Your obligation to go to Your Bidder Account and fill in Your tax exempt number. You will also need to contact Kaufman to confirm Your status as a tax exempt bidder for the specific online auction You choose to participate in.

            7.3 Payment Instructions

            You will receive a final invoice via email when You are the winning bidder. Payment terms are specified in the specific online auction’s terms and conditions in which You choose to participate in.

            7.4 Shipping

            Shipping may be available in some auctions but is not guaranteed to be available in any or all auctions. Please check the specific online auction’s terms and conditions in which You to choose to participate in for shipping costs and availability. Shipping is always at Your expense. Shipping insurance is recommended for all shipped items and must be arranged by You. Kaufman is not responsible for items damaged during the shipping and handling process.

            7.5 Liability Regarding Purchases


            7.6 Failure to Remit Payment

            Any items not paid for in accordance with these Terms & Conditions and the specific online auction’s terms and conditions in which you chose to participate in will be forfeited by You and shall be deemed a breach. Kaufman may, in its sole and absolute discretion, resell the items. Any default by You will be subject to any and all damages that Kaufman incurs, including but not limited to interest, collection fees, moving and disposal fees, and reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs. Your bidding privileges may be in jeopardy and may be revoked if You fail to remit payment for an invoice issued. You are also advised that Kaufman may aggressively enforce its rights to the fullest extent of the law, including civil and/or criminal prosecution.


            8. Termination

            Kaufman reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to permanently terminate Your access to Your Bidder Account at any time effective immediately, with or without notice, if We determine or suspect You have violated these Terms & Conditions, any other specific terms and conditions of an online auction, any laws, or the rights of other users or third parties. In the event of termination by Kaufman, Kaufman may pursue any remedy that may be available, at law or in equity, with respect to such breach (including but not limited to recovery of the damages incurred by Kaufman set forth in Paragraph 7.6). Regardless of the reason for any termination, You agree that Kaufman, in its sole discretion, may cancel all current bids placed, withhold items not picked up, or otherwise retain any and all of Your pending purchases.


            9. Indemnity

            You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold Kaufman and its members, managers, directors, employees, agents, affiliates, licensors, agents, and other partners (collectively, the “Indemnified Persons”) harmless from any loss, cost, expense, liability, claim, or demand, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, suffered by any Indemnified Persons due to, arising out of, or in connection with (i) Your use of the Website and any services offered by Kaufman; (ii) any violation by You of these Terms and Conditions, any other specific terms and conditions of an online auction, and any applicable law; and (iii) items purchased by You on the Website.


            10. Interruption of Service

            Kaufman shall not be responsible or liable for any interruption in service, errors, and/or omissions caused by any means and does not guarantee continual, uninterrupted or error free service or use of the Website. With current technology, it is not possible to develop and operate computer programs (software) and data processing systems (hardware) entirely without error, or to rule out any unpredictable events in connection with the Internet. You acknowledge that the Website is conducted electronically and relies on hardware and software that may malfunction without warning. In the event of any malfunction relating to the Website, We, in Our sole discretion, may void any sale, temporarily suspend bidding and/or re-sell any item/lot affected by any malfunction.


            11. Trademark

            The trademarks, logos, characters and service marks (collectively “Trademarks”) displayed on the Website belong to Kaufman or are used with permission. Nothing contained on the Website should be construed as granting any license or right to use any Trademark displayed on the Website. Your use/misuse of the Trademarks displayed on the Website, or any other content on the Website, except as provided in these Terms & Conditions, is strictly prohibited. You are also advised that Kaufman will aggressively enforce its intellectual property rights to the fullest extent of the law.


            12. Governing Law

            These Terms & Conditions and their interpretation shall be governed by the laws of the state of Ohio.

            12.1 Jurisdiction/Venue



            13. Severability

            The provisions of these Terms & Conditions and any additional terms and conditions stated in the specific online auction in which You choose to participate in are severable, and if any part of them are found to be unenforceable, the other paragraphs shall remain in full force and effect.

            13.1 Headings

            The headings in these Terms & Conditions are included for convenience only and shall neither affect the construction or interpretation of any provision in these Terms & Conditions nor affect any of the rights or obligations of You and Kaufman.

            Board of Revision
            Board of Revision Complaint Process

            When to apply: January 3, 2022 - March 31, 2022

            Is Your Real Estate Property Value Accurate?

            While voter approved tax levies have the major impact on property taxes, your property’s valuation is the foundation on which the rate you pay is figured. We reappraise (revalue) Guernsey County properties every three years by state law.

            The legal requirements of the reappraisal process mean we are always behind the market. That may be more apparent now than it was when real estate values were rising. The effective date of the appraisal currently in force is January 1, 2021.

            If you believe the value we have for your property is inaccurate you can file a complaint with the Board of Revision. The Board’s requirement this year is to look at your value as of January 1, 2021. Based on the evidence presented, the Board can raise or lower a value or leave it unchanged.

            To file a complaint, just download and print the forms located here on our website.

            Complaints hand delivered to us at Suite 301 of the County Administration Building, 627 Wheeling Ave. Cambridge must be RECEIVED in our office by 4:00 p.m. on March 31st. For complaints filed by mail a United States Postal Service postmark of March 31st is sufficient. (ORC 5715.19)

            At your hearing you will need to make your case for the value you seek. Read How to Best Present Your BOR Complaint and Rules of Procedure for BOR Complaints

            Remember: The goal of this office is to get your value right. Even if we summarily reduced all Guernsey County property values, it would have a minimal effect on taxes. The millage of most levies is reset after a reappraisal. Taxing entities get the amount you voted. So, if values overall go down, millages increase.

            Our work in setting values is controlled by state law and overseen by the State Tax Commissioner. We do our utmost to get it right. We welcome your help and participation.

            Building Permits
            Building Permits - updated 9/20/2021

            Entities that issue permits in Guernsey County:

            740-432-9243    Guernsey County - Auditor
            740-432-3601     Cambridge Corporation - City Engineer
            740-685-5901     Byesville Incorporated Village - Village Clerk
            740-685-2568    Jackson Township - Zoning Board
            740-432-3726     Cambridge Municipal Airport - Director
            740-685-8279     Senecaville Incorporated Village - Mayor’s Office
            330-343-6647     Muskingum Watershed Dist. - Lease Coordinator
            330-364-2142      US Army Corps of Engineers - Division of Real Estate

             Plumbing/ Water & Sewage System Permits: 

            The Environmental Health division of the Guernsey County Health Department issues and inspects plumbing permits. Please contact them at 740-439-3577 for any questions concerning permits and fees.

            Commercial Building Permits:  

            Mid-East Ohio Building Department issues and inspects the commercial building permits for all of Guernsey County. Please contact them at 740-455-4905 for any questions concerning permits and fees.

            Residential Building Permits:

            The County Auditor issues residential building permits on behalf of the Guernsey County Commissioners. These permits are for tax value purposes only and do not include any inspections.

            Apply for a Guernsey County Building Permit when constructing or placing on property the following:

            • New Dwellings (Homes, Cabins, ect.)
            • Additions to existing Structures
            • Porches & Decks over 64 sq ft (8’X8’)
            • Additional Buildings (Storage , Garages, Lean-to’s, Pole Buildings, Barns, ect.)
            • Foundations or Basements for Manufactured Homes and Future Dwellings

            Building permits are not required for normal maintenance or up keep of a dwelling. Therefore the following items are not required to have a Guernsey County building permit: windows, roofs, siding, heating source or handicap ramp.

            Please Note: that may not be the case for the other entities in the county issuing permits.

            Ohio Revised Code 5713.17 Duty to notify county auditor of improvement costing over $2,000 - penalty - examination of buildings.

            To enable the county auditor to determine the value and location of buildings and other improvements, any person, other than a railroad company or a public utility whose real property is valued for taxation by the tax commissioner, that constructs any building or other improvement costing more than two thousand dollars upon any lot or land within a township or municipal corporation not having a system of building registration and inspection shall notify the county auditor of the county within which such land or lot is located that the building or improvement has been completed or is in process of construction. The notice shall be in writing, shall contain an estimate of the cost of the building or improvement, shall describe the lot or land and its ownership in a manner reasonably calculated to allow the county auditor to identify the lot or tract of land on the tax list, and shall be served upon the county auditor not later than sixty days after construction of the building or improvement has commenced. Upon the discovery of a building or improvement that has been constructed but of which the county auditor has not been notified as required by this section, the county auditor shall appraise it and place it upon the tax list and duplicate at its taxable value, together with a penalty equal to fifty per cent of the amount of taxes that would have been charged against the building or improvement from the date of construction to the date of discovery had the county auditor been notified of its construction as required by this section. The county auditor, or his deputy, within reasonable hours, may enter and fully examine all buildings and improvements that are either liable to or exempt from taxation by Title LVII [57] of the Revised Code.


            When to apply: January 1st - to the First Monday in March

            Items Required:

            • Initial Application
            • $25.00 non-renewable application fee
            • Soil Map with property lines clearly marked
            • Woodland Management Plan (when the majority of Acreage is woods)

            Renewal: Required annually (no cost)

            Frequently Asked Questions

            What is required to be eligible for the CAUV reduction?
            Any tract of agricultural land 10 acres or more which has been in commercial agricultural use for the last 3 years is eligible. A smaller tract may be included under this section if the tract produced an average gross income of $2,500 or more from sales of agricultural products during the previous three years and if there is anticipated gross income of such amount.

            The tract of land must be devoted exclusively to agricultural use.

            1. Land used exclusively for commercial animal or poultry husbandry, aquaculture, apiculture, the commercial production of field crops, tobacco, fruits, vegetables, timber, nursery stock, ornamental trees, sod or flowers.
            2. Land devoted to and qualified for payment or other compensation under a land retirement or conservation program with an agency of the federal government.

            What does the “Commercial Production of Timber” mean?
            Land devoted to the commercial production of timber means woodland of at least 10 acres which is being managed and maintained as directed by a Woodland Management Plan (a copy of which must be attached to your application) prepared by a service forester through ODNR or by a consulting forester, so as to result in the eventual harvest of that timber. A list of consulting foresters and their contact information can be found at the following link

            Can non commercial “Woodland” qualify for the program?
            Woodland acreage on which no commercial timber is being grown may qualify for the program under certain circumstances. If the farm listed on the application has ten acres or more of qualified land and the wooded land is part of or adjacent to that tract, the wooded property may also qualify for the program. Wooded acreage that is not in commercial production and is part of a farm with fewer than then ten acres of qualified land does not qualify for this program.

            What if my tract of land has multiple uses, can I still apply for CAUV?
            Some applicants may own mixed-use parcels where only a portion of the land is qualified for the program. These parcels may be enrolled in the program as long as the areas are independently qualified under the above guidelines and are appropriately identified to the auditor.

            Do I have to reapply each year?
            Yes. The owner must file a renewal application each year to continue reduction. A blank renewal application will be mailed from the auditor's office in January of each year.

            What happens if I don't reapply?
            There is a recoupment penalty equal to the tax savings for the past 3 years if land use changes to nonagricultural use or there is a failure to reapply.

            How much will it reduce my taxes?
            The actual reductions are dependent on the current agricultural use value (CAUV) which is placed upon the land. Major factors affecting the value are soil type, soil region and land capability class. Agricultural commodity prices also enter into the CAUV value. These values are set by the State and vary according to soil type. The resulting CAUV value replaces the appraised market value. Tax value is set at 35% of the CAUV value. The CAUV values are readjusted on a three year cycle by the State Tax Commissioner to account for changing agricultural production costs and commodity.

            Where do I get a soil map of my property?
            Soil maps are FREE and available from the local Soil & Water Conservation District office.


            Soil & Water Conservation District
            335 C Old National Road
            PO Box 310
            Old Washington, OH 43768
            Phone 740.489.5276
            Fax 740.489.5278

            Cigarette Dealer's License

            The cost for a retail cigarette license is $125.00 per location per year. Cigarette licenses should be purchased or renewed every fourth Monday in May, and the fees will be prorated for any new licenses issued after that date. Wholesale cigarette license are no longer issued by the county auditor; these licenses will be issued by the Department of Taxation.

            The license does not authorize the licensee to engage in the business of trafficking cigarettes at any place in this state other than that specified by the County Auditor. (One license is good for one location)

            Cigarette licenses are to be displayed near the product being sold for easy inspection. If cigarettes are being sold in your place of business and you do not have a license or your vending machine does not have one displayed, please contact your local County Auditor’s office.

            House Bill 1, made changes to the fees, the distribution of revenue, and the structure of the cigarette licensing provisions. All these changes are effective on January 1, 2010.

            The new fee on all retail cigarette licenses will be $125 per location per year. There will no longer be a reduced fee for more than five licenses issued in the same county. Licenses will still be renewed every fourth Monday in May, and the fees will be prorated for any new licenses issued after that date. Revenues collected on these retail licenses will be distributed as follows: 30 percent to the municipal corporation or township, 10 percent to the general fund of the county, and 60 percent to the cigarette tax enforcement fund. Although the percentages to the municipal corporation or township and county general fund will decrease, the total funds will be more than in the past because of the increased fees associated with these licenses.

            In addition to the report listing the retail licenses issued that has always been required by the end of each July, county auditors will be required to file monthly reports. These reports should reflect any new retail licenses issued after January 1, 2010. The portion of the fees that are to be paid into the cigarette tax enforcement fund should be remitted along with the monthly report. Also, beginning January 1, the fees that are to be paid into the cigarette tax enforcement fund should be remitted to the Ohio Department of Taxation rather than the Treasurer of State. The Department is currently designing the report and will send it to the counties by the end of the year.

            The "Application for Retail Cigarette Dealer's License" (CIG 40) has been revised to reflect H.B. 1 changes. Most importantly, the retail and wholesale cigarette licenses are no longer assignable. A copy of the CIG 40, revised October 2009, is attached to this memo.

            Wholesale cigarette licenses will no longer be issued by the county auditors; these licenses will be issued by the Department of Taxation. Based on historical figures, any revenue loss as a result of this change will be offset by the increased fees associated with the issuance of retail licenses. The new fee on a cigarette wholesale license will be $1000.

            Should you have any questions regarding these changes please contact us at the following:

            Ohio Department of Taxation
            Excise, Motor Fuel and Public Utilities Tax Division
            Excise Tax Section
            P.O. Box 530
            Columbus, Ohio 43216-0530

            Dog Licensing

            By using the online portal you can find links to purchase tags, answer Frequently Asked Questions and located owner of a lost dog.

            • All dogs more than three months of age must be licensed.
            • The standard licensing period runs December 1 to January 31.
            • License applications after January 31 are subject to a late penalty.
            • Licenses may not be transferred from one dog to another.
            • Licenses purchased are non-refundable.
            • A dog may be licensed for a term of one year, three years, or permanently.
            Vendor's License

            A regular vendor’s license is issued to vendors with a fixed place of business and is only good for one location. The application fee is $25.

            Vendor’s licenses are only transferable if you change the physical location of your business within the same county. If you move your business to another county, change your name, incorporate or add a partner, a new vendor’s license is required. If you change your trade name or d.b.a. name, a new license is not required.

            A vendor’s license can be cancelled by completing the appropriate information on a final Ohio sales tax return indicating the last day of business.

            Guernsey County sales tax rate is 7.25%

            Delivery (sales based on delivery of goods and certain services at consumer’s location), Transient (vendors who transport stocks of goods to temporary places of business in order to make sales), and Service (computer services, landscaping, private investigation, 900 numbers, exterminating service, building maintenance, janitorial service, employment service, etc.) vendor’s licenses are obtained through the State of Ohio. For more information contact the Ohio Department of Taxation at


            Means-Tested Homestead

            Effective 12/31/2013

            In 1970, Ohio voters approved a constitutional amendment, permitting a homestead exemption that reduced property tax for lower income senior citizens. Then in 2007, the General Assembly expanded the program to include all senior citizens, regardless of their income. Now, the state of Ohio is returning to the originally approved system, of applying means/income testing to determine eligibility for the homestead exemption.

            Current program participants and their eligible surviving spouses are exempt from the income requirements; current program participants are those who received a homestead exemption tax credit for real property for tax year 2013. Current program participants or manufactured homeowners are those who received the credit for tax year 2014.

            For real property owners who are not currently receiving homestead, or do not qualify for 2013, the homestead exemption is available to any Ohio resident homeowner who:

            • Qualifies under the means-test and.
            • Is at least 65 years old or turns 65 in the year for which they apply; or 
            • Is totally and permanently disabled as of January 1 of the year for which they apply, as certified by a licensed physician or psychologist, or a state or federal agency; or
            • Is the surviving spouse of a person who was receiving the previous homestead exemption at the time of death, and where the surviving spouse was at least 59 years old on the date of death.

            Since applications for real property are filed in the year for which homestead is sought, the owner must be 65 by December 31 of the year the application is filed. For manufactured or mobile homes, applications are due in the year preceding the year for which homestead is sought. Those applicants must be 65 years old, or turn 65 during the year following the year in which they apply.

            To qualify, an Ohio resident also must own and occupy a home as their principal place of residence as of January 1 of the year, for which they apply, for either real property or manufactured home property. For individuals who own more than one home, the principal place of residence is the home where the person is registered to vote, and the person’s place of residence for income tax purposes.

            Veterans Homestead

            Effective 9/11/2014

            Am. Sub. House Bill 85, 130th General Assembly, has created an additional classification of recipient for the homestead exemption and for that recipient has granted an increased reduction. A $50,000 homestead reduction is authorized for veterans experiencing service-connected disabilities and qualifying spouses.

            A new classification is found in R.C.323.1 51(F). Under that subsection, a "disabled veteran" is defined to be a person who is a veteran of the armed forces of the United States (including the reserve components or the national guard) who has received a permanent total disability rating or a total disability rating for a service-connected disability or combination of service-connected disabilities for which the Code of Federal Regulations identifies as a 100 percent evaluation. If a veteran meets the definition, that person will receive a reduction in taxes equal to the taxes on $50,000 of true value (as opposed to the current homestead reduction of taxes equal to the taxes on $25,000 of true value).

            If the homestead qualifies for reduction under the new R.C. 323.152(A) (2) in the year the disabled veteran dies, and the veteran is survived by a spouse who occupied the homestead when the disabled veteran died and who acquires ownership of the homestead, the reduction shall continue through the year in which the surviving spouse dies or remarries.

            In order to qualify, the disabled veteran must provide a letter or other written confirmation by the federal Department of Veterans Affairs, or any predecessor or successor agency, showing that the veteran qualifies as a disabled veteran as described above. Please note the Department of Veterans Affairs issues two types of disability ratings. A permanent total disability rating is not subject to further review by the VA and will never change. However, other determinations of total disability ratings, or ratings of combinations of service-connected disabilities for which the Code of Federal Regulations identifies as a 100 percent evaluation are subject to review and may change over time. The term "overall or combined rating" is used by the VA to rate the level of disability separate from the level of compensation (which also may be expressed as a percentage). Only the rating of the level of service-connected disability should be used to determine eligibility for the expanded exemption.

            Effective 1/15/2021

            Am. Sub. House Bill 17, 133rd General Assembly, has created an additional classification of recipient for the homestead exemption and for that recipient has granted an increased reduction. A $50,000 homestead reduction is authorized for surviving spouse of a “public service officer” who has either been killed in the line of duty or died from a fatal injury or illness sustained in the line of duty, including a heart attack. Similar to the homestead exemption for disabled veterans, the credit equals the tax on $50,000 of the true value of a homestead owned and occupied by the public service officer’s surviving spouse, and no income limit applies.

            A new classification is found in R.C.323.1 51(G). Under that subsection, a “public service officer” is defined to be a person who is a paramedic, emergency medical technician (including EMT-basic, EMT-I, and “first responder” classes), a paid or volunteer firefighter, or a police officer, sheriff, deputy sheriff, or other class of peace officer as defined in the law governing the authority to arrest or issue citations. The exemption continues until the surviving spouse dies or remarries, and, like the $25,000 homestead exemption and the homestead exemption for disabled veterans, it is portable among homes so long as it applies to only one home at a time. If a surviving spouse also qualifies for the exemption as an elderly or disabled individual or a disabled veteran, the spouse must decide which exemption to apply; they are not cumulative.

            In order to qualify, the surviving spouse must provide a letter from either a state pension fund or the department or agency that the public service officer served when the officer died confirming that the officer was killed in the line of duty.

            Law Enforcement
            Law Enforcement Redactment Affidavit

            Effective 9/01/2008

            With the passing of House Bill 46 as stated in section 319.28 (B)(1) a Safety Forces/Law Enforcement Redactment Form is now available to those individuals who are employed in the safety forces or law enforcement fields. The bill entails that these individuals, if applicable, may request in writing that the Guernsey County Auditor's Office redact personal information of that individual from any records made available to the general public on the internet.

            Section 319.28 | General tax list and general duplicate of real and public utility property compiled - parcel numbering system.

            (B)(1) An individual, or the spouse of that individual, whose residential and familial information is not a public record under divisions (A)(1)(p) and (A)(7) of section 149.43 of the Revised Code (SEE DETAILS BELOW)may submit an affidavit to the county auditor requesting the county auditor to remove the name of the individual filing the affidavit from any record made available to the general public on the internet or a publicly accessible database, and from the general tax list and duplicate of real and public utility property, and to instead insert the individual's initials on any such record, and on the general tax list and duplicate of real and public utility property as the name of the individual that appears on the deed.

            (2) Upon receiving an affidavit described in division (B)(1) of this section, the county auditor shall act within five business days in accordance with the request to remove the individual's name from any record made available to the general public on the internet or a publicly accessible database, and from the general tax list and duplicate of real and public utility property and insert the individual's initials on any such record and on the general tax list and duplicate of real and public utility property, if practicable. If the removal and insertion is not practicable, the county auditor shall verbally or in writing within five business days after receiving the affidavit explain to the individual why the removal and insertion is impracticable.

            Section 149.43 | Availability of public records for inspection and copying.

            (p) Designated public service worker residential and familial information;

            (7) "Designated public service worker" means a peace officer, parole officer, probation officer, bailiff, prosecuting attorney, assistant prosecuting attorney, correctional employee, county or multicounty corrections officer, community-based correctional facility employee, designated Ohio national guard member, protective services worker, youth services employee, firefighter, EMT, medical director or member of a cooperating physician advisory board of an emergency medical service organization, state board of pharmacy employee, investigator of the bureau of criminal identification and investigation, emergency service telecommunicator, forensic mental health provider, mental health evaluation provider, regional psychiatric hospital employee, judge, magistrate, or federal law enforcement officer.

            Manufactured Homes
            Manufactured Homes

            Forms and Downloads

            Instructions on surrendering a Manufactured Home Title to Real Estate

            Please note that the manufactured home title must display the same owner name as the real estate records before the title can be accepted for transfer.

            1. All Liens must be discharged on the front of the title
            2. All Taxes must be paid in full to the Guernsey County Treasurer.
            3. Present Title to the Guernsey County Auditor with the following information:
              1. Real Estate Parcel Number on which the manufactured home is situated.
              2. Physical Address of the Real Estate Parcel.

            Instructions on how to transfer a Manufactured Home Title

            1. Have the title properly signed and notarized.
            2. Take the title to the Treasurer’s Office in the county where the yearly taxes are collected. Here you will need to pay any outstanding taxes and obtain an official tax stamp on the front of the title. The Guernsey County Treasurer is located in the County Administration Building at 627 Wheeling Ave., Suite 201. Further questions about this step can be answered by contacting the Treasurer’s office at (740) 432-9278.
            3. Take the title to the Auditor’s office, located up stairs from the Treasurer in suite 301. Here you will fill out the forms needed to transfer the mobile home. You will also pay a transfer fee of 50 cents, and a conveyance fee of $4.00 per thousand of sale price. They will also stamp the front of the title. Further questions about this step can be answered by contacting the Auditor’s office at (740) 432-9243.
            4. Take the title that has the 2 (two) official stamps to the Auto Title Department, located at 401 Wheeling Ave. Here you will pay for your title fees and obtain a mobile home title in your name. Further questions about this step can be answered by contacting the Auto Title Dept at (470) 432-9235.

            Instructions on how to transfer a Manufactured Home Title when the owner is deceased

            1. Take the title to the Treasurer’s Office in the county where the yearly taxes are collected. Here you will need to pay any outstanding taxes and obtain an official tax stamp on the front of the title. The Guernsey County Treasurer is located in the County Administration Building at 627 Wheeling Ave., Suite 201. Further questions about this step can be answered by contacting the Treasurer’s office at (740) 432-9278.
            2. Take the title to the Auditor’s office, located up stairs from the Treasurer in suite 301. Here you will fill out the forms needed to transfer the mobile home. You will also pay a transfer fee of 50 cents, and a conveyance fee of $4.00 per thousand of sale price. They will also stamp the front of the title. Further questions about this step can be answered by contacting the Auditor’s office at (740) 432-9243.
            3. Take the title that has the 2 (two) official stamps to the Auto Title Department, located at 401 Wheeling Ave. Here you will pay for your title fees and obtain a mobile home title in your name. Further questions about this step can be answered by contacting the Auto Title Dept at (470) 432-9235.
              • Probate Court Consent to Transfer
              • Copy of the Death Certificate (A Xerox copy is fine)

            Step by Step: The Manufactured Home Installation Process in Ohio

            Step 1: Obtaining a Permit
            Ohio law requires that all HUD manufactured homes installed since July 01, 2007 have been permitted, inspected and approved prior to occupancy in accordance to OMHC 4781 Rules.
            For manufactured home parks: The park owner, operator, or retailer should assist the homeowner with obtaining permits and inspections by an approved agency and allowing only a licensed installer to perform work in a park.
            For private property: The licensed installer or homeowner must obtain the permit from an inspection agency having jurisdiction. A complete list of those agencies can be found on our web site or by calling our office for assistance.
            Cost of permit and inspection: OMHC does not regulate the fees charged by the inspection agencies; however, all inspection fees must be paid prior to the set of the home. The application must include the licensed installer’s name and license number and names of all contractors involved in the set of the home. You must first obtain a permit for inspections prior to setting a home in order to avoid a $50.00 penalty. You may contact any of the following agencies:

            City of Cambridge Economic & Community Development
            1131 Steubenville Avenue Cambridge, OH 43725
            Permit telephone line: 740-439-5491
            - or -
            Ohio Certified Inspection Bureau
            14 North Court Street Athens, OH 45701
            Permit telephone line: 740-541-1292 or 740-274-0917

            Step 2: Hiring a Licensed Installer
            Licensed installer means any individual licensed by the Commission to create footings, install, set up, hook-up, block, tie-down, secure, level, support, install steps, install shirting, or makes electrical, plumbing, or mechanical connections to manufactured homes or who provides consultation or supervision for any of these activities.
            In manufactured home parks only licensed installers are permitted to perform the manufactured home installation.
            Finding an installer a complete listing of approved licensed installers can be found at the following website The licensed installer’s name & license number must be provided and verified prior to issuance of a permit to install a home. The licensed installer is responsible for the complete set of the home.
            A homeowner may install their own home for their own occupancy. Home owners who do this lose many of the protections offered by the Commission. Permits/inspections are required and agencies are listed on our web site, or you can call OMHC for more information.

            Step 3: Moving the home

            Transporters are not licensed by the OMHC. However, they may have requirements under other laws such as obtaining a permit from the State Highway Department or the County Auditor. The cost of the County Auditor’s Relocation Notice is only $5.00 and the manufactured home taxes can not be delinquent and the currant year must be paid in full. You must obtain the relocation notice prior to moving the home in order to avoid a $100.00 penalty.

            The location of where the home is being installed is necessary before a permit can be issued. The installer/owner is advised to make certain that the lot is adequate for the home. A professional licensed installer may notice unforeseen conditions that may cause additional expenses if gone un-noticed.

            Step 4: Inspection Agency
            All HUD manufactured homes in Ohio must be inspected; all inspection agencies provide trained and state certified inspectors for each inspection, assuring the homeowner that the installation is completed consistent with the manufacturers design.
            Installers/homeowners must obtain permits from an inspection agency and call for inspections. Prior to moving the home, contact the appropriate inspection agency and obtain the cost of the permit and inspections. In some counties, there may be more than one option, contact each agency to get the best one for you.
            Other local authorities: The installer/owner must contact the local government to know of any requirements for that location. There may be zoning, flood hazard, or other requirements. It is the licensed installer’s responsibility to ensure that the home is placed in the correct location, at the correct elevation, on the correct lot with setbacks, etc.

            Step 5: Begin to Install the Home
            After obtaining permits, the installation can begin. All installers, including home owners, must install according to the Ohio Manufactured Home Installation Standard which provides for several methods of installation including installing in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation manual which comes with the home, if obtainable, or designs prepared by an Ohio registered engineer or architect. Additional items which may not be included in the manufacturer’s installation manual may be required by the Ohio Manufactured Home Installation guidelines and shall be part of the home installation.

            Step 6: Call for Inspections
            Home owners, acting as their own installer, must call for all inspections. No one shall apply utilities such as power, water, or gas to a home prior to approval from the inspection agency.
            When the work is ready for an inspection, the licensed installer or the homeowner must call for inspections from the inspection agency. The minimum inspections are as follows:
            Inspection for the footing and reinforcement is required before placement of concrete or pads. In a manufactured home park or an existing site on private property, this inspection is necessary to ensure it is in good condition and adequate for the home.
            Inspection for the electrical service: The licensed installer calls for the electrical service inspection when the electrical work is ready. The inspection agency must provide a state licensed electrical safety inspector (ESI). The electrical inspector places an approval tag near the service to let the local electric company know the home has passed electrical service inspection. At that time, electric power may be connected; however, it is unsafe and illegal to occupy the home until all three inspections are accomplished.
            Final inspection is called for by the installer or homeowner when all the work is correct and complete. Failure to be ready for the inspection may result in additional re-inspection fees. The inspector may coordinate with other agencies such as the local health department to ensure that septic or other inspections have been completed. When the home has been properly installed, the inspector places the OMHC inspection seal inside the home in the proximity of the electrical panel box cover. ONLY THEN CAN THE HOME BE LEGALLY OCCUPIED!

            Step 7: Notice to County Auditors and Treasurers
            Within 14 days of the installation of a manufactured home, the County Auditor and Treasurer must be notified. It is the installer’s/homeowner’s responsibility to provide this notice. Often the retailer provides this notice. The set-crew installer carries the majority of the burden for this notice as they have set the home on the site. Part of the contract with the retailer should include clarification as to which installer makes this notice of installation. You must send the Notice of Installation within the 14 days in order to avoid a $100.00 penalty being added to your taxes.

            Real Estate

            E-Filing with Kofile Technologies Inc.

            Guernsey County now has the ability to receive and record documents electronically (e-filing or e-recording) through Kofile Technologies Inc., making the process of document recording faster and more efficient. 

            Transmitted documents are checked-in by the recorder staff.  Documents are then routed electronically and processed by the tax map and real estate office staff. The approved documents will be stamped electronically and forwarded to the recorder’s office for recording.  Once a document is recorded, it is available to the public for viewing.   Some documents that cannot be e-recorded are: Plats and Military Discharges (DD214). 

            Documents can be transmitted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and will be processed between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding holiday and other office closures).   Documents transmitted after 3:00 p.m. or when the offices are closed will be processed the next business day.  If a document or conveyance form is rejected the processing time will restart as soon as the corrected conveyance form or document is received

            Real Estate Transfer Procedures

            Transfer Procedures


            • Transfer Fee - $0.50 per parcel number
            • Conveyance Fee - $4.00 per every thousand of sale price

            *Example- A dwelling and 3 lots sold for $120,000 = Transfer fee of $1.50 and Conveyance Fee of $480.00  Total Cost =$481.50